Alien's Travel Permit - Tibet Permit Application

What is Aliens' Travel Permit

Aliens' Travel Permit, compared with Tibet Travel Permit, is not the must document to enter Tibet. However, it’s indeed a must for foreigners to visit the areas outside Lhasa, like Shigatse, Shannan, Nyingchi and EBC etc. Issued by Tibetan Local Public Security Bureau, it also known as the PSB permit, and can be easily applied in Lhasa, Shigatse, Nyingchi or other prefectures. While if trying to visit beyond Lhasa without the PSB permit, you will be stopped by local police and failed to continue your further travel in Tibet. This can be arranged by the local tour agency in Tibet.

Who Can Apply for a PSB permit?

As a tourist, everyone could get an Aliens’ Travel Permit through a travel agency, but for those who travel to Tibet for Non-tourism purposes, such as diplomats, journalists, and government officials, they should travel to Tibet under the arrangement of the Foreign  Affairs Office of Tibet Government.


How much it is for a PSB Permit?

It cost 50 Yuan/person. (It is already included in the tour cost and there is no need to pay the extra fees)


How to Apply for a PSB Permit?

Generally, you can apply for it upon your arrival at Lhasa. Your passport and TTB Permit will be asked to submit to the Foreign Affairs Section of PSB. It normally takes several hours and the cost is already included.

We will assist you on the permit application when you are in Tibet, please hand over your passport and Tibet entry permit to the tour guide, and then, our agency will go to the Foreign Affairs Section of PSB to apply for the documents. It will not waste your time at all.

While you are in Tibet, your tour guide will carry all the permits. When staying overnight at a hotel or guesthouse, your tour guide will use it to register you with the proper authorities. Please notice that individual travelers are not allowed to apply for the PSB Permit. They need to join the tours to visit the 'unopened' areas.  


Aliens' Travel Permit to Visit Mount Everest

Foreign guests visiting the Everest area still need to apply for Aliens' Travel Permit. Your tour guide will assist you on the permit application in Shigatse or Gyantse. It usually takes only 1-2 hours to get permit.

Required Paper

1) Original Tibet Travel Permit

2) Original passport

3) Tour guide license

4) Itinerary


√ Hong Kong and Macao residents holding a Home Visit Permit to apply for a border defense permit, tourists from other countries and regions need to apply for a foreigner travel permit to travel to the Everest area.

√ With the PSB, you can go to Everest Base Camp at 5,200 meters and enjoy the charm of Mount Everest. Of course, if you want to climb to a higher place, such as the ABC camp, you will need to apply for a special Mountaineering License issued by the Tibet Mountaineering Association. You will also be required to have a professional climbing coordinator accompanying you on your hike.


Which Areas of Tibet are listed as the Unopened Areas?

Shigatse: Sakya Monastery, The Mount Everest, Rongphu Monastery 

Gyangtse: Pelkor Chode Monastery & Kubum Stupa

Ngari Region: Such as Mount Kailash, Lake Manasarovar, Tsaparang, ect.

Nyingchi Region: Such as Basum-tso, Pomi, Rawo-tso, ect.

Qamdo Region: Such as Qamdo,Riwoche Monastery


Note: **Lhasa and Nagqu regions are open to foreign travelers and no need for PSB Permit. ** 

Alien's Travel Permit - Tibet Permit Application FAQ

Similar Itineraries