Hold China Z Visas entering Tibet

The Z Visa is mainly for persons who are working in China. When applying for Tibet Travel Permit, the Z Visa holder must provide a work certificate besides a scanned copy of passport and visa (a scanned copy of the residence permit should be provided after your visa replaced). This work certificate should be stamped by relevant company.


How to Apply for a Chinese Visa Z Visa:

1. Visa application materials

Passport: Original passport with a blank visa page valid for more than 6 months; a copy of passport photo information page.

Visa application form and photo: One "People's Republic of China Visa Application Form" and one recent, obverse, color (light background), crown-free, passport photo attached to the application form.

Invitation letters issued by relevant organizations or individuals in China: the invitation letter must contain one of the following:

(1) Alien Employment Permit issued by the Human Resources and Social Security Department, if it does not exceed 90 days, the Professional Certificate of Short-Term Work for Foreigners in China shall be provided. The working time cannot exceed the period specified in the Foreigner's Short-term Work Certificate in China;

(2) The Foreign Experts' Work Permit in China issued by the Foreign Experts Bureau;

(3) The Registration Certificate of the Permanent Representative Office of Foreign (Regional) Enterprises issued by the administrative department for industry and commerce;

(4) The commercial art performance certificate issued by the cultural administrative department and the "Professional Short-term Work Certificate for Foreigners in China";

(5) Invitation Letter for Foreigners Engaged in Offshore Oil Operation in the People's Republic of China issued by China National Offshore Oil Corporation;

Please note: After arrive at China, the holder must apply for a residence permit to the exit and entry management agency of the public security organ of the local people's government at or above the county level within 30 days, unless the visa is marked as 30 days after entry.


2. Tibet Travel Permit Application Process for Holding Z Visa

Foreign travelers entering Tibet must be organized tours, that is, they must have a reception organization and a confirmed travel itinerary, and must have a “confirmation letter (Tibet Travel Permit)” in the Tibet Tourism Bureau office. The confirmation letter can be used for boarding procedure. Overseas Chinese and Taiwan compatriots need to apply for a “confirmation letter” in the same way as foreign guests. Hong Kong and Macao compatriots can travel in Tibet like a local citizen with a valid home-entry permit, without having to apply for a “Tibet Travel Permit”.

Step 1: Confirm the travel time, travel itinerary, hotel arrangement and other specific information with the travel agency.

Step 2: Send a scanned copy of the passport, a scanned copy of the visa, and a scanned copy of the invitation to the travel agency 25-30 days in advance.

Step 3: After the travel agency confirms, we will submit the information to the Tourism Bureau to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit. Under normal circumstances, the Tibet Travel Permit will be processed about 7 days in advance. At that time, we will send the original Tibet Travel Permit to the passengers who take the plane to Tibet, and send the scanned copy to the passengers who take the train to Tibet (the train rider only needs copy version when board the train).


3. Who needs to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit?

1. Non-Chinese citizen ID card holder - Taiwan area tourists

2. Non-Chinese Passport Holder - Foreign Passport Holder

3. Overseas Chinese (Chinese with foreign passports) also need to apply for a letter of entry

Note: Foreign officials of government officials, diplomats and journalists are required to go through the relevant procedures and arrange receptions.


Besides Tibet Travel Permit, other documents required for travel to Tibet:

1. Frontier Pass

The frontier pass is called the “Border Management Zone Pass”, which is referred to as the border defense certificate or the border certificate. If your itinerary needs to go to: border areas such as Medog, Zhangmu, Yadong, Dingri (Everest), Shiquan River & Pulan, etc. in Ngari area, you need to apply for a border certificate in accordance with Chinese law.

Domestic tourists: if there is no special reason, it is recommended that you still apply for a Frontier Pass at the household register location. Unless you ask for a Tibetan document on the border certificate to be a commemoration, you have to do it in Lhasa. Others such as Shigatse and Nyingchi can also be done, but they are more troublesome. If you want to apply for a border permit in Lhasa, an easy way is to pay the travel agency. Otherwise, you need to start a complicated set of procedures.

Foreign tourists: The border travel permit is uniformly arranged by the travel agency.

2. Alien's Travel Permit

It is enough to visit Lhasa, Namsto, and Shigatse for the Tibet Travel Permit, but if you want to visit Nyingchi, Shannan, Changdu and other areas, you need to apply for an Alien's Travel Permit. The card is handled by the travel agency at the same time as Tibet Travel Permit.

Note: Only foreign travelers and Taiwan compatriots need to apply for an Alien's Travel Permit. Mainland and Hong Kong and Macau visitors do not need to apply for that.

3. Military Area Entry Permit

Bowo, Ranwu, Ngari and other non-open areas on the border, also need the Military Area Entry Permit.

Hold China Z Visas entering Tibet FAQ

Similar Itineraries